Monday, April 19, 2010

The Ascent of Mt. Carmel: St. John of the Cross Leads the way to Detachment

When I started this blog, I said that I would at times make a personal reflection on topics of interest to the faith. While I typically try and approach the faith from a more practical perspective, I cannot deny the mystic aspects of the faith, especially since my actual journey into the faith was in and of itself very mystical. The mystical aspects of faith for all who practice are both profound and personal. Each of us speaks to the graces we have received in a different way. We do so because God's grace impacts people differently and that is what makes each individual journey unique. So now, I am going to expand upon a familiar topic with a very personal touch.

The topic is detachment. Detachment is one of the most integral parts of being a servant of God and in particular, Catholic theology. The reason for its importance is what detachment is. True detachment is to empty oneself of desires and things that get in the way of the love God. Every person finds ways to distract themselves from God and prayer (I include myself more than anyone). The goal of the detachment is to rid oneself of these distractions so that person can grow closer to God.

St. John of the Cross is particularly important because he provides us with an example. He is often called the empty vessel. He calls his journey "The Ascent of Mount Carmel." For those unfamiliar Mount Carmel is where the prophet, Elijah is visited by God. The reason for calling John the empty vessel is that he empties himself of all things that are between him and God to grow closer with him (thus ascend). Mount Carmel is also known as the Mount of Perfection. To reach it's summit is to be perfected by God. In his ascent, all things that distracted him from God were weight on his shoulders. He stopped each time and emptied himself. We are called to do the same. Granted we must be careful as to not take it too far by eliminating the essential nature of the Sacraments (which some do) and the importance of showing reverence. At the same time, we must understand that some things done for the good can become attachments that lead us away from God.

In my own life, my understanding of St. John's theology has deepened by personal experience made possible by God's grace. I have by this grace reached a point where I understand detachment better and start to really partake of it. So this reflection is going to be personal but I hope it brings light to this subject. Once again, no credit goes to me. All the honor goes to God for it is His actions in my life and the way he works through my friends that this is possible.

My journey into true detachment only really started recently. Despite my best attempts not to, my intentions for doing for others sometimes slip into self glorification. I think almost anyone struggles with it, but it was of particular concern, because I am a servant of God. Everything I do should and must be directed towards Him. All I do for others needs to be for His greater glory. Because I have this knowledge my failings to do so have thus been magnified.

It was in this past year, that I really reached a crossroads. I had much on my mind and was allowing myself to get tightly wound, thus hiding my true self. Not to say being tightly wound was me being fake, because it was very real. At the same time, at my best, I am very easy going, relaxed, and laid back. In this mode, I am able to be more giving of myself and not have as much limitation. The thing was I was blocking that. Worse still there was a particular thing that I needed to let go of.

Try as I might, I was unable to do what I needed to do. My reasonable and rational approach was to pray. I asked God to help guide me. Things started to turn but there was still an inner struggle. The key was I was missing a piece. The piece I was missing was doing the right thing as an act of faithfulness to God. Without giving too much details, I talked with a friend about the struggle and that friend told me to remember that all I do is an act of faith in God. That was the key.

My new prayer to God included doing the right thing as an act of faith in Him. I did not know where it would lead, but I stopped trying to let go and was thus actually able to let go. I immediately felt a change. I was suddenly more relaxed and easy going again. I suddenly was happy with where my life was and not asking for more. I finally was seeking to do things with no return for me. Not to say I did not have times like this before, but there was something more permanent about it. I have everything I need, and ask no more.

For me this was detachment in a great form. Not to say I don't need more of it, because believe me I do, but to say this is not a huge stride in the right direction would be an error. This is my great blessing that I share. In my ascent up the mount of perfection this has allowed me to climb higher than I have ever been. The summit is still distant but it beckons. With the Lord, I have a yoke that is easy and a burden that is light. Upon realizing these things, I returned to St. John and read his meditations again. Thus I have gained greater understanding. I hope that by sharing the work of God's grace, I can shed light on it and shed greater light on this important practice. The prayer for detachment always starts with emptying ourselves of that which distracts us from God. It continues as we allow Him to lighten the load so that we can climb again. I so thankful to Him for all he has done directly and through the friends who aided me.

No comments:

Post a Comment